050 – The 3 Foundations of Spiritual Practice
Mindfulness Online Training
- Spiritual Practice is actively cultivating our connection to the spiritual dimension – what we can do to become more “spiritual”.
- I also describe this spiritual dimension as the plus in the Mindfulness+.
- People refer to this dimension with many labels like higher consciousness, spirit, Presence or God.
- The three foundations for spiritual practice are: Life Conditions, Mindfulness and Faith.
- All three foundations are required to cultivate our spirituality.
- Life Conditions – how you’ve got your life configured. For example…
- What activities you get involved in
- Fulfilling your obligations
- What you own
- Where you go
- Who you spend time with
- The work you do
- How you use your digital devices
- Following the 7 Guidelines
- Mindfulness – Bringing awareness and acceptance to bodily sensations, things coming in through the senses, feelings and thoughts in the present moment.
- Faith – Being open to, curious about, and believing that there’s a transcendental element to our existence that directs our spiritual evolution.
- Faith may be cultivated quickly – often through some shock, loss or pain. It can also be cultivated more gradually over a number of years or decades.
- All three foundations link together and influence each other – either positively or negatively.
- It can be helpful to review your practice through the lens of all three foundations. And from there, decide upon the next step on your spiritual journey.
Copyright © 2019 Darren Cockburn. All Rights Reserved