066 – Social Media Addiction & Confessions
Mindfulness Online Training
An enlightening discussion on social media addiction – with mindfulness expert and spiritual teacher/author Darren Cockburn and Renee Jayne – creator of ‘Love Yourself Naked’ and ‘My Nutrition 360’.
Darren and Renee reveal personal experiences, openly confess and share their social media addiction challenges, and offer useful tips for a more positive relationship with social media and digital devices.
Here are some of the highlights…
- The biggest addiction we face is our addiction to thought.
- Guideline 7 – Conscious Digital Usage
- Many phone apps are designed to be addictive.
- It may be helpful to review “screen time” (if your phone has that function) and check your phone usage including social media usage.
- We’re either aware or lost in thought when we’re using our mobile devices – this is The Two Modes of the Mind.
- Sometimes we may use food to feel better – and we can do the same with social media.
- Awareness is always the starting point for dealing with social media addiction.
- We’re often seeking connection through our addictions.
- We may follow addictive patterns because we’re avoiding being present with ourself.
- We only compare ourselves neurotically with others on social media when we’re lost in thought – we don’t do this when we’re conscious
- Compare and despair!
- Social medial addiction may have a big impact on depression and anxiety levels.
- How the ego reacts to social media responses.
- We use addictions to escape from unresolved emotional pain.
- The only way you can release addictions is to heal the emotional pain that’s manifesting them.
- We may use digital devices to create trauma if we experienced trauma earlier in life and have not psychologically resolved it.
- It can help to reconfigure notifications on our devices so we’re only receiving just what we need – or consider turning them off altogether.
- Consider using airplane mode.
- 60-60-30 time management productivity technique.
- Consider starting our day free of digital / social media.
- Get our mind into a good positive state before using social media.
Copyright © 2019 Darren Cockburn. All Rights Reserved